Check out these top recommended resources for Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and teacher education.
- McKeown, R. (2011). Into the Classroom: A practical guide to the initial weeks of student teaching. Knoxville: UT Press. (This book can serve as an advanced organizer for teacher-preparation program or as a refresher before going into student teaching.)
- Nolet, V. (2016). Educating for Sustainability: Principles and Practices for Teachers. New York: Routledge.
- Santone. S. (2019). Reframing the curriculum: Designing for Social Justice and Sustainability. New York Routledge
- UNESCO. 2012. Education for Sustainable Development Sourcebook. Learning and Training Tools no. 4. Paris: UNESCO. (The ESD Sourcebook is an updated version of the ESD Toolkit, but leaves many activities out that are useful in the classroom, such as sustainability strips activity. www.esdtoolkit.org)
ESD Professional Development Videos
- UNESCO. 2011. Education for Sustainable Development: An expert review of Processes and Learning. Paris: UNESCO.
- UNESCO. 2012. Exploring Sustainable Development: A Multiple Perspective Approach (ESD in Action Learning and Training Tools no. 3)
- Learning about water: Multiple Perspective Approaches (ESD in Action Learning and Training Tools no. 5)
- Stevens, DD and Levi, AJ. (2013). Introduction to Rubrics: An assessment tool to save grading time, convey effective feedback, and promote Student learning. Sterling, VA: Stylus.