- This event has passed.
Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP)
November 2, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Join the Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP) program and learn cutting edge design and building best practices from our expert instructor, Stephen Aiguier of Green Hammer, as he guides participants through the entire spectrum of high performance building and shares practical insights on the following:
- Building science fundamentals & moisture management
- High performance wall & roof assemblies
- HVAC product selection & integrated system design
- Water conservation techniques
- Indoor air quality, green material considerations & health impacts
- Local green/energy efficiency building programs & incentives
SHP is a comprehensive, interactive, experience-driven education program for residential and multifamily building and design professionals who are looking to take their projects to the next level of quality. Each of the six monthly modules can be taken individually and provide participants with an opportunity to gain valuable information and eliminate common barriers to high performance building via:
- Lecture, discussion, hands-on exercises, & short assignments
- Guest speakers that share past projects, experiences, & expertise on issues that are critical to building quality homes successfully
- Two tours of under-construction or recently-completed green certified homes with builders & raters on-site to explain approaches, reveal cost/benefit analysis, & answer questions
- A final project that progresses throughout the course and puts principles into practice by guiding participants in designing their own high performance building or research project
A certification exam at the end of the course allows participants to earn the designation of an accredited Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP). Earth Advantage also provides logos and marketing support to help SHPs gain visibility as informed green building professionals.
The SHP accreditation program was first offered in 2008 and has since has been offered over 20 times across Oregon, all the while maintaining a longstanding reputation for depth, applied learning, and outstanding quality. SHP is complementary to other industry credentials, like LEED AP, LEED GA, SBA, CPHC, BPI, HERS, and others. SHPs are architects, builders, developers, remodelers, raters/verifiers, subcontractors, planners, engineers, third-party verification program staff, real estate professionals, appraisers, educators, and building operators who value quality craftsmanship, whole system thinking, and sustainable practices.
Earth Advantage Classroom
623 SW Oak Street, Third Floor, Portland, OR 97205 (map)
6 monthly 2-day modules
All classes will take place from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Individual modules can be taken in random order over multiple sessions to achieve SHP accreditation
|Course Modules||Portland, OR
|Module 1: Green Building Market & Integrated Design||Nov 2 & 3|
|Module 2: Building Science Fundamentals||Dec 7 & 8|
|Module 3: High Performance Building Envelopes||Jan 11 & 12|
|Module 4: Mechanical Systems and Performance Testing||Feb 8 & 9|
|Module 5: Health, Materials, and Water||Mar 8 & 9|
|Module 6: Final Presentations and Certification Exam||Apr 5 & 6|
Questions? Contact Heather Kendall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.968.7160 x20.