- This event has passed.
October 30 @ 8:00 am - November 16 @ 5:00 pm
Position: Stewardship Assistant
Duration: January 21st 2019 – April 26th 2019
Hours: Approx. 10-15 hours/week
The Columbia Slough Watershed Council (CSWC) is a community based 501(c) (3) non-profit located in northeast
Portland. Made up of a diverse group of neighbors, property owners, businesses, environmental groups, recreation
advocates, and government agencies, our mission is “To protect and enhance the Columbia Slough and its watershed
through community engagement, education, and restoration.” For the past 24 years, the Council has offered
environmental education activities, workshops, paddling events, and restoration opportunities to the diverse
populations of Portland, Gresham, and Fairview. See www.columbiaslough.org for information about CSWC.
CSWC recognizes that human and ecological diversity are fundamental strengths of our community. We are committed
to being an inclusive, anti-racist organization that reflects and meets the needs of our community in makeup, priorities,
operations, and programs.
Position Summary: The Stewardship Assistant will support many aspects of planning and organizing several projects in
our Stewardship Program, primarily Stewardship Saturdays, leading volunteer crews and helping plan restoration efforts.
The Stewardship Assistant will help with implementation, organization, data entry, and reporting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Assist with running Stewardship Saturdays by prepping tools and equipment and assisting with day of event
● Lead volunteers during field work days including planting days on land and on water
● Serve people of diverse backgrounds, ages and cultures
● Practice inclusive, anti-oppressive community engagement and program design, particularly in communities of
● Strong interest in urban restoration and conservation
● Background in the natural sciences and/or watershed sciences
● Strong communication, teamwork and leadership skills
● Experience with data collection
● Experience with Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet program
● Comfort with public speaking and professional communication skills
● Ability to work on uneven terrain, lift 10-30 lbs regularly
● Some knowledge of local fauna and water quality issues
● Self-directed and willing to take initiative
● Dedication and/or lived experience working in inclusive, anti-oppressive community engagement and program
design, particularly in communities of color
● Valid Driver’s License, clean driving record, and reliable transportation to locations throughout the watershed
● Field experience
● Portland area native and invasive plant identification skills and knowledge
● Boating experience
● Ability to communicate in Spanish or another non-English language that is spoken in the watershed
● First Aid / CPR certification
● Knowledge of Columbia Slough watershed
● Non-profit experience
● ArcGIS experience
● Approximately 10-15 hours/week with some weeks less, this position is dependent on available funding
● Work schedule is flexible, especially for academic commitments
● Must be available to assist at Stewardship Saturday events during the weekends
The assistant will work under the guidance and supervision of the Stewardship Director, with opportunities to work with
the Executive Director and Volunteer Coordinator.
Work Environment: 80% field and 20% in office. This position includes moving on uneven terrain, often during inclement
weather. The Stewardship Assistant is often responsible for transporting restoration materials (which includes lifting
10-30lb bins) and occasionally carrying canoes and related equipment. Around 80% of this job requires mobility in
non-ADA accessible spaces and moving heavy objects. Please contact the Council with specific questions about
accessibility and special accommodations.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and three references the Stewardship Director at:
Mail: Stewardship Director
Columbia Slough Watershed Council
7040 NE 47th Ave
Portland, OR 97218
Cover letter should not exceed one page, front and back, single spaced, 12-pt font. Emails please include “Stewardship
Assistant” in the subject line.
The position opening will close on November 16, 2018 at 5pm. All application materials must be received by the closing
time. First review of applications will take place end of November, with interviews scheduled for early December 2019.
Start date is January 21, 2019.
Columbia Slough Watershed Council is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take measures
to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age,
religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Questions? Contact us at 503-281-1132 or email@example.com
For more information, please visit our website at https://columbiaslough.org/about_the_council/job_opportunities/