- This event has passed.
Policy Manager (Pacific NW Focus)
October 8, 2019 - October 18, 2019
BACKGROUND & SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Forth is a nonprofit 501(c)(6) trade association with a closely related 501(c)(3) charity, the Forth Mobility Fund. Forth works to advance electric, smart, and shared transportation in the Pacific Northwest and beyond through innovation and industry development; demonstration and pilot projects; policy advocacy; and consumer engagement. Forth also operates the nation’s first brand-neutral electric mobility showcase, as well as a range of other projects. Learn more on our website.
We seek candidates who are engaging, organized, enthusiastic about policy, and comfortable working with diverse consumers and organizational partners. Electric vehicle, shared/micro-mobility and/or transportation experience or sustainable energy is helpful, but not necessary. Forth remains a growing, dynamic organization; the successful candidate will be expected to wear many hats, work independently, and play an active role in the organization’s development of policy opportunities.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Policy Development and Advocacy (~60%). Working closely with the Senior Director, the Policy Manager assists in identifying key policy changes to advance the organization’s goals and supports the implementation of strategic advocacy campaigns.
- Identifies policy issues and opportunities; assists in the development of strategies and campaigns to secure policy changes.
- Prepares and presents public comments and testimonies.
- Communicate with contract lobbyists and consultants as required.
Coalition Building and Education (~30%). The Policy Manager assists the Senior Director in building broad public and stakeholder support for Forth’s policy goals, and mobilizes the support effectively to secure policy change.
- Support the building of relationships with related organizations to broaden the base of support for the electric and smart mobility industry as a whole.
- Partners with other staff to ensure policy-related messages are integrated into all our programs and communications, as appropriate.
- Actively seeks earned media and produces reports, fact sheets, opinion pieces and other communication tools to support policy proposals.
Fundraising and Organizational Management (~10%). Working closely with the Senior Director and other staff, the Policy Manager actively cultivates funding support for policy work from companies, foundations, and other sources. Forth operates with a small but growing staff, so the Policy Manager must be flexible and prepared to assist where needed.
- Seeks financial support through memberships, foundation grants and sponsorships.
- Assists in drafting proposals and progress reports.
- Participates in board and committee meetings, as appropriate.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- A passion for Forth’s mission and values
- Bachelor’s degree or minimum five years of experience in advocacy, policy development or related field
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and understanding of key DEI concepts
- Willingness and ability to travel regionally, occasionally overnight; valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift 35 pounds to assist with event set up
- An ability to take the work seriously, without taking yourself too seriously
- Working knowledge of local government, electric utilities, the electric vehicle field, transportation, or related fields
- Existing relationships with relevant stakeholders in the Pacific NW region
- Experience working in a non-profit with a mission-driven staff and board
- Advanced degree in a relevant field
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple conflicting projects, meeting deadlines while maintaining a healthy work-life balance
Starting salary range is $35,000 to $50,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include 160 hours of paid vacation annually, fully paid health, dental and vision insurance for employee and all dependents (or a monthly stipend if covered by other insurance), and an employer retirement contribution of 3% of gross salary after six months (no match required.) We also provide access to electric vehicles for business use.
To ensure full consideration, please apply through our HiringThing site by October 18, 2019 and submit the following:
- Your resume
- A cover letter responding to the question: What mobility trend are you most looking forward to in the next three years?
We will continue accepting applications after this date, but cannot ensure all will be reviewed. All candidates will be notified once we have made a hiring decision.
Forth is highly committed to excellence through diversity, to fostering an inclusive and equitable workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQI(+) candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Forth is committed to responding to accommodation requests from applicants with disabilities, whenever possible.