- This event has passed.
PCC Composting Assistant
October 20, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Portland Community College Sustainability is looking for an enthusiastic individual, that doesn’t mind getting their hands dirty, to join our team in a part-time, temporary capacity to advance the college’s sustainability and waste management efforts. Under direction of the District Sustainability Office, the Composting Assistant will support waste reduction efforts through maintenance of specialized composting programs for Portland Community College.
Typical Functions (to include, but not limited to):
- Assist with monitoring and supporting specialized composting programs at Portland Community College, primarily at Sylvania and Rock Creek campuses (subject to change).
- Collect, transport, empty and clean compost buckets from campus offices and break rooms 2xs/week.
- Transport separated food scraps from the kitchen to the learning garden worm bin 1-2x/week.
- Monitor and maintain compost collection containers at special events.
- Identify problem materials in the compost and troubleshoot, if needed.
- Assist Sustainability with updating signs for compost collection bins, as needed.
- Assist with compost education and outreach, as needed.
- Other waste management duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with basics of composting and related environmental concerns.
- General knowledge of waste systems and waste reduction strategies.
- Passion for sustainability and social justice.
- Ability to travel between campuses.
- Ability to work independently.
- 18 years of age or older.
- U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident.
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent.
About this position:
- Regular lifting, guiding and/or carrying of materials is required. Position involves occasional bending, standing, kneeling, reaching below and above shoulders, and lifting objects weighing up to 60 lbs. while performing job duties.
- Regular travel between College campuses is required.
- Hours per Week: 12-18 (about two days per week). Hours will vary and some evening/weekend work may be required. Schedule is flexible.
- Pay Rate: $15/hour
- This is a casual position and does not have permanent funding. We are looking for someone comfortable with part-time work that can commit to one year in the position.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and a cover letter briefly explaining your interest and qualifications for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are hoping fill this position as soon as possible and will close recruitment once sufficient applications are received