- This event has passed.
Online Certificate on Education for Sustainable Development
January 15 @ 12:00 am - February 17 @ 11:59 pm$2 – $2019
This unique programme is designed to provide participants with the opportunity to deepen understanding, knowledge, and skills to integrate Education for Sustainable Development and Education for Global Citizenship into classrooms, schools, and curricula. It contributes to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals, with a specific focus on SDG 4, target SDG 4.7.
Unlike most programmes in sustainability, in these courses the Earth Charter (EC) is used as a central feature of this approach. The EC provides a broad, inclusive and powerful values-based orientation that can be infused within the missions and purposes of most educational programmes. The methodologies introduced are ones that can be applied to all learning across the curriculum and across grade levels.
Participants who successfully complete this Online Programme will be invited to join the Earth Charter Educators Network.
Strengthen the knowledge, skills, and abilities of educators to implement Education for Sustainable Development and Education for Global Citizenship in their work, providing a space for dialogue and professional update on pedagogical processes of transformative learning that respond to the new guidance and educational needs in this area. The programme will offer a special space to look into the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Specifically, this Certificate Programme seeks to:
- Clarify concepts of sustainability, sustainability values and principles, sustainable lifestyles and responsible consumption; and global citizenship, as well as the synergies between them.
- Deepen and expand knowledge about new paradigms of education associated with education for sustainability, sustainable lifestyles, education for global citizenship and transformative education.
- Strengthen capacities and skills of the educators to integrate the values of sustainability in their areas of action, and develop educational programmes that promote a new awareness of our relationship with the environment and sustainable lifestyles.
- Explore methodological and transforming pedagogical tools that can be used in educational programmes.
- Motivate and inspire educators to contribute, through their areas of action, in building more coherent, harmonious, and sustainable societies.
- Stimulate the exchange of experiences between educators from different contexts and regions.
Some expected results:
When completing the Certificate Programme, the participants will:
- Develop a greater understanding of sustainable development, the Sustainable Development Goals and their application in education.
- Be familiar with new paradigms of education within the framework of Education for Sustainable Development, and related themes.
- Deepen knowledge and pedagogical tools to incorporate values-based education for sustainable development in educational programmes and processes.
- Internalize the ethical framework for sustainable development that is articulated in the Earth Charter, as a set of fundamental principles and values for building a more just, sustainable, and peaceful society.
- Strengthen the abilities and skills to work with values and principles of sustainability and the Earth Charter in educational programmes.
This Certificate Programme is aimed at K-12 teachers (primary and secondary educators), education professionals, and academics in different areas and levels of education.
This is an online Certificate Programme, therefore sessions follow the model of asynchronous learning, where participants have flexibility to complete the sessions when it is convenient for them. However, there will be five real time webinars, one at the beginning of the programme and one at the end of each course, to give the possibility for participants and facilitators to meet and interact more.
The Certificate Programme has a duration of five months.
It consists of four courses plus five seminars.
Each course consists of five sessions (one per week).
The minimum hourly load per participant is 124 hours, which involves 4 hours per week to read and see all the materials per session, plus the time for the seminars, and the preparation and implementation of a final project (individually or in group).
The courses provide a balance of theoretical and practical analysis, and includes video chats offered by facilitators, individual study materials, and forums where the group discusses the subjects. The four courses offered are:
- A Planetary Perspective: Toward a Culture of Peace, Sustainability, and Well-Being
- Values and Principles for Sustainability: The Earth Charter as an Ethical Framework and a Call to Action
- Transformative Learning, Worldviews, Sustainability: Experiential Education and the Earth Charter
- Transformative Learning and ESD: A Holistic Pedagogy Grounded in the Neurosciences
Requirements to successfully conclude the Programme and obtain the Certificate:
a) Conclude all the courses and meet basic course requirements.
b) Implement the final project and present a report.
The course fee is US$1,300
30% discount offered for groups of 3 or more. 10% discount in registration before 2 December 2019 (full payment only).
Course fee must be paid at least two weeks before Online Programme starts.
- Credit card
- Bank transfer
*Flexible payment plans available.
For more information on payment contact apply[@]earthcharter.org