2020 Virtual REcharge Academy
August 10 - October 12 $500
|As you may have heard, we had to cancel this summer’s Rhode Island REcharge Academy – this really bummed us out!
But we are not quitters! We have decided to try our hand at a Virtual REcharge Academy. Through a blend of synchronous and self-paced learning sessions, educators will explore renewable energy concepts and complete activities from the safety of their homes. At the conclusion of the Academy, educators will join the ranks of our vast REcharge Instructor network, committing to bringing renewable energy education to their home communities.
While there is a cost of $500 per participant to attend this virtual learning experience, each participant will receive a box of classroom renewable energy equipment, valued at $300, prior to the event. Please note that scholarships are available.
VIRTUAL RECHARGE ACADEMY GOALS:
- EXPLORE the power grid as a complex system while considering the impacts of the electricity we use to power our society and the challenges we face as we increase renewable energy, EVs and storage into this system.
- EXAMINE a variety of curricular tools and instruments to help students engage with critical questions and STEM concepts around wind and solar power.
- EXPERIENCE how a wind turbine works and is repaired, how a wind farm is planned and constructed, how a solar panel works, and what it takes to bring clean power to our homes.
- BUILD knowledge of how to use easily-accessible online resources, such as real-time power grid information, and integrate this data into inquiry oriented instruction.
- GAIN a deeper understanding of the careers and opportunities in the rapidly changing clean energy industry.